01 July 2009

In Japan Again, Part 1


Good times with good friends


Hello, everyone! It's been a long time since I rapped at ya, but I've had my walls to the ball, or something like that. Thanks to Jim Anchower over at The Onion for that. :D

I'm in Japan right now and it's fun as usual here. It's still Canada Day in Canada while I write this. I had the great fortune of being able to celebrate by firstly attending at Meiji University a lecture given by my friend and calligraphic classmate Fred Thompson, a returned professor of Architecture from Univeristy of Waterloo. His lecture was about the design of crematoria, columbaria, and graveyards in Sweden shortly after the turn of the twentieth century. In particular, a Swedish acrhitect whose name eludes me for the moment ran slightly afoul of the Lutheran Church with his design.

Anyway, I'm always glad to meet my friends in a variety of places whom I know in otherwise relatively limited contexts. If I weren't so dense, though, I'd have had a photo taken with him.

Before coming to Japan, I attended a wedding in Vancouver. However, because my schedule is relatively tight, I was able to stay only for two nights. The wedding was fun and I was able to reconnect with another Waterloo graduate after not seeing him for about twelve years. Aagain, because I'm an idiot, I missed several good opportunities for photos with friends while I was in Vancouver.

My flight from Vancouver to Japan had a stop-over at Seattle-Tacoma Internaltional Airport (Sea-Tac). While I was awaiting my flight to Sea-Tac, I saw my friends Robert and Rowena, who were also to fly thither for their trans-Atlantic flight to Paris. We had photos taken together with their camera because mine was acting-up, so I have no photos of this meeting to post for the time being.

After flying to Japan on a flight where they seem to have lost my vegetarian meal request, I arrived safely at Narita Airport. I must say that my arrival went perfectly; I'm unable to think of a smoother experience of flying and passing through customs / security than this one. While in the greater Tokyo area, I'm staying with Renato, Hanako, and Leo in Aoyama. It's a great location and they're great hosts, so things are wonderful here. The only issue I have with Japan at the moment is that I decided to come during rainy / cloudy season. I don't expect to see much sun ....

After the lecture yesterday, I went for dinner with some friends, most of whom I know from Waterloo and one of whom I met during my trip to Japan in 2008. :) Anyway, those of you who have subscribed to my blog may be interested to see some photos, so here they are!




Interesting sculpture at Sea-Tac



Hey! It's my gate!



'As Know As'



Um



Harajuku



Gothic & Lolita



Gen-en & Sandy!



Yu, Liz, & Allen



Who's photographing whom?



Gen-en, Sandy, & Me

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi S2, good to see you here:)

- Jieyu

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home