14 June 2007

Housing Mafan

Hello again, everyone!

I have updated information about my housing situation. However, the update is really only a clarification of the situation, not the resolution of it.

The date '15 July 2007', the last day of my programme, according to my acceptance notice, is a magical date decreed by the C.S.C. ('China Scholarship Council', not 'Computer Science Club'). From what I've learnt the school has no say in the selection of that date. However, the school had the opportunity to make the last day of our programme coincide with the last day of the scholarship.

That the administration for my year-long programme for international students chose not to do so shows a marked lack of concern for said students. Many of the students who are here internationally are studying here on scholarships precisely because they are unable to study here otherwise. Some students, such as myself, were unable to specify the return dates for their return tickets because some governmental organisation may have purchased the tickets on their behalf, specifying as the return date the last day of study on the admission notice.

Forcing students to change their plans for travelling at the students' own expense is, in my opinion, not the most fruitful way to improve or maintain one's reputation. By not starting the semester one week earlier than it did, this school has demonstrated that it is unable to cope with the pressures of planning the most essential dates of the school year with its international students in mind. Based on that alone, I can recommend that a student may find a better programme at other universities in the neighbourhood. (I have other reasons for making that recommendation, but this administrational gaffe is sufficient.)

The administration for the educational wing of this university did not inform the administration for the housing wing that our programmes do not end on the last day indicated on the admission notice but, rather, until seven or eight days later. The situation with my housing has not changed because a summer programme is scheduled to start immediately after I am currently scheduled to vacate my premises, and the school has to make available enough rooms for those students. I need to wait until 29 or 30 June to be able to ask for a six-day extension and learn whether a room shall be available.

Neither I nor my classmates need absolutely to remain in China until our grades are distributed. However, that option was not made clear to us until yesterday. Because of that lack of information, the school effectively forced me to shell-out 540 RMB ($75 Cdn) to change my flight.

T.I.C.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home