12 May 2007

Botanical Garden



Hello, everyone!

Yesterday I took a trip to the botanical garden just east of Xiang Shan, which I visited last 11/11. The park was really nice and really huge. After four or five hours, I was able to see only about half of it.

I learnt after arriving that on the grounds is Wofo Si (卧佛寺), the Reclining Buddha Temple. In it is a pavilion with a display of a number of reclining Buddhas ('Buddha' here is capitalised because the 'Reclining Buddha' is always an image of the Sakyamuni Buddha at his parinirvana). The display contains a photos of a number of reclining Buddhas from around China, many of which I saw in technicolour during my trip to Gansu province at the beginning of May.

The Botanical Garden also houses a pavilion dedicated to 09 December 1935, the date of a large series of protests in Beijing against the Japanese occupation of 'Manchuguo'.

Anyway, this post exists merely to display some photos from yesterday's excursion. :) TTFN!


Lei and her husband, Feng, and half of me


Random guy who wanted a photo with me

Fragrant Grass














Stone grapes


Stone 'food'























A truly golden fish








What is a 'thunb'?


09 December Memorial




1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

My Dad had a similar experience at a temple in China. He was approached by a couple who wanted him to hold their baby and take a picture. As I recall, they didn't actually have a camera; the picture was taken on his.

Something about people with round bellies near Buddhas. :-P

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home