29 December 2012

Jing'an Si (静安寺)


On Tuesday, 05 December, the Colour Checker and I took a trip to Jing4an1 Si4 (Jing'an Temple, The Temple Of Peace And Tranquility), which is conveniently located a few subway stops away from Liz's and Ethan's place.  Jing'an Temple's been around for a long time and has had a couple of names throughout the centuries.  While reading the review of this location in Insight Guides, I got the impression that it wasn't a good place to visit.  Haters.  What I saw was AWEsome and far less touristy than other places upon which they had heaped loads of praise.

Before going to the temple, I firstly went to the gym.  I purchased a short-term membership to Will's Gym (威尔士) and I took ample advantage of it.  Afterwards I made my way to Zhong1shan1 Park (中山公园) Station and rode a few stops away to Jing'an Station.  At one of the malls near to Zhongshan Park, I saw an interesting Coca Cola display.

See:  the polar bears aren't in trouble!

Because of the egress from which I exited the subway at Jing'an, I wound-up walking all the way around the temple before finding the entrance.






 



Ah!  Found the entrance!

I walked around and took a few photos.  I should allow them to speak for themselves.




'Fraidy cat!



Rawr!


Silver Buddha 


The life story of the historical Buddha 



Bambi and his girlfriend?



Rawr!

The vegetarian meal I ate after my visit to the temple.  Yum!

After this outing, I headed back eventually to meet Liz for dinner.  She was quite busy throughout my stay because of work, so I was quite glad to spend some time with her.

1 Comments:

Blogger lemonade said...

This is a very well known temple locally in Shanghai. I have heard its name mentioned a million times, mostly when someone is describing the location of some place close to the temple, "oh, you know, that store near 静安寺". Nobody ever talks about the temple itself :p I've never given any thought to it, and never been to the temple. Looks pretty impressive though.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home