11 November 2006

Lest We Forget

I dedicate this post to the brave men and women who have served to preserve our peace and freedom. Hell, I dedicate all of my posts to them, but today's Remembrance Day.



A dope trailer's no place for a kitty, Julian


Calligraphy / Shufa (书法)
As some of you know, I've been interested and involved in East Asian calligraphy throughout the last seven years. After coming to Beijing, I found an instructor to teach me something about Chinese styles. Most of the time, he has our (Friday-afternoon) class copying the works of Ouyang Xun (欧阳询), but we sometimes depart into interesting digressions. Our instructor is a native of Beijing, but he speaks some Japanese and he spent six years in Poland! He's also a master of Chinese watercolour painting (中画的画家). My class here in China reminds me in many ways of my class in Waterloo, under Noriko Maeda (前田典子).


Our teacher, Pu3 Shi2 Lao3shi1 (溥石老师)

Me and my classmates


Chikako and Cheryl taking advantage of the heating system in the classroom


Tianjin, Revisited
Not literally: I only recently gained access to Cheryl's photos from our trip to Tianjin. Here are some of my faves.


I like the dude with the shades


That's a big inkstone / suzuri / yan4tai2 (砚台)


Me and Sally at Ancient Culture Street


It's still not the CN tower


Cool paper cuttings


Cheryl's Birthday Dinners (Reprise)
I now have copies of photos from Cheryl's various birthday dinners. See whether you are able to figure-out what the heck happened at them. :)

Dinner #1

Some of Cheryl's classmates


Me, with more of Cheryl's classmates


Yet more of Cheryl's classmates


What are Samuel and Stuart doing?


I still don't know but, Xin1di4, you're next!


Queen for a day

It's Not Easy Being Green


Dinner #2






Da cake!


Beihai
On 28 October, Cheryl and I went to Beihai. It was loads of fun, but I don't really have too much to say about it. I'll allow the photos do most of the speaking. :)

I think that this has something to do with inexhaustible resources: Three heads and six arms


The White Pagoda


The Wrath Of The White Pagoda


White Pagoda III: Freddy's Dead


Night Of The Living White Pagoda


A Self-Portrait Of The Photographer As A Young Woman



The Colour-Checker without and with flash

Peek-a-boo!


Cool Arch

Xiang Shan (香山)
Today I went to Xiang Shan with one of my language partners (who's also a friend, not just a language partner), Cui1 Qian4 (崔倩). She's a third-year student of Electrical Engineering at the Science And Technology University, Ke1ji4 Da4xue2 (科技大学). I was supposed to go with both her and her friend, Li3 Hai3ying1 (李海鹰), but Haiying was informed yesterday about a meeting which she had to attend today. Haiying is a third-year student at the Geological Sciences University, Di4zhi4 Da4xue2 (地质大学). (Aside: Haiying had heard of UW before I had mentioned it because of UW's strong research programme in Earth Sciences, especially ground-water work.) Qian and I had a lot of fun today; because nothing really extraordinary happened, I'll allow the photos do most of the talking.

Throng

Thronger


Throngest



Qian

Ah, Colour-Checker











No post of mine would really be complete without the obligatory section containing strange signs and cultural oddities.

They start them here early, don't they?

How many toilets have they GOT in this country?

Um

Passenger no entry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home