01 September 2006

Broken Glass & Foot-Massages Do Not Mix

McDonald's, Revisited
I decided to give McDonald's's fries another chance, so I went thither for lunch today with Caspar. The fries I had today were indistinguishable from the fries I've had at McDonald's in North America, which leads me to believe that the ones I had the other day were undercooked. What I enjoyed most about today's visit to McDonald's is the pie: I had taro pie, not apple pie! It was really good! What, you don't believe that I had taro pie? I photographed the box in which it came. :)



A Night Out With The Girls
After wasting the rest of day trying to reinstall software on my computer, I joined three other Canadians, Cheryl, Debi, and Courtney, for dinner. We took an adventuresome taxi ride to a restaurant which is touted as a fusion Japanese-Italian restaurant. The restaurant itself is only about a fifteen-minute walk from my residence's room, but none of us knew the precise directions to the restaurant. Courtney had eaten there a couple of times, and was interested in introducing it to us.

After we arrived, I leafed through their menu, and found what looked like the only vegetarian item on the menu: pumpkin-macaroni & cheese. My dish took the longest to prepare, I presume because the dish was baked with mozzarella cheese atop the macaroni. Well, it turned-out to be not mac & cheese, but rice & cheese, with big slices of pumpkin atop the rice (and under the cheese). It also turned-out to have pieces of bacon inside.

I ate about half of my meal, carefully removing the bacon, when I realised that the second half of the dish had a greater concentration of bacon than did the first half. At that point, I decided that enough was enough, and that I'd be wastig a lot of what was cooked for me, so I dumped into the dish all of the meat I'd previously removed and tore into it with gusto. In my first or second mouthful, I bit something crunchy; until that point, my meal had been decidedly less crunchy. I removed a piece of broken glass from my mouth; I'm quite thankful that I didn't hurt myself with it. I only hope, at this time, that I didn't swallow any earlier in the meal. I guess it's a sign to remain vegetarian. I've thought of a couple of good plots for comedic sketches based on that experience.

After we complained, we awaited appeasement in the form of a newly prepared dish; ultimately, none was forthcoming. Courtney thinks that it's because I said 'mei2 guan1 xi4' (没关系) in response to her 'dui4 bu qi3' (对不起) coupled with an offer to prepare the new dish. Anyway, while we waited in vain, we were approached to appear for auditions tomorrow for a commercial. The woman who approached us spoke to all four of us, but presented business cards only to two of us; I didn't realise at the time that she was focusing on the two non-(fully-)ethnically Chinese in the group.

Anyway, we left the restaurant and went to have our feet massaged. I'd read about it previously, and I'm glad that I had an opportunity to have it done. Ordinarily men massage women's feet, and women massage men's feet. However, the hotel to which we went for this treatment (which included another, which I saw described as 'leg beating') had a dearth of male massage therapists, and so each of us was given a massage by a woman. As Caspar put it when I told him, 'so ... you spent the whole time, while you were being massaged, with seven women ...'. :D

I'm to tired to write more, so all y'all are going to have to be satisfied with this. S2out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home